Portrait photographs of Academy members were requested and collected as early as the 1920s. In 1958, a circular was issued by the Academy management to all institutes and institutions to hand over existing photos for archiving. At the beginning of the nineties, the archive took over extensive photo holdings from the press department and the science magazine "Spectrum". At present, the archive's photo holdings include a total of approximately 40,000 photos of members and staff of the Berlin Academy, of historical events in the Academy's history (Academy meetings, conferences, signing of Academy agreements, etc.) as well as of Academy institutes and institutions. This includes 50 photo albums, numerous negatives and 164 glass plate negatives. A large part of the photographic collection is now electronically catalogued.